Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!! I have just tasted the most divine apple butter I have ever eaten! I used to work at an Amish Restaurant so I have had my fill of apple butter. I have never tried to make it though…until now.
I got the idea for this recipe from AllRecipes. But this particular recipe called for me to cook it in the crock pot for 11 hours and I didn’t want to get up during the night to turn off the crock pot. So, I changed it up a bit. This is what I did:
Fill your 7 quart crock pot with peeled, cored and finely chopped apples
|We had dueling Apple Peeler Corer Slicers from Pampered Chef going on. If you work with apples much, one of these is a necessity. Contact me if you need the name of a Pampered Chef Representative.|
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 6 hours, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thickened and dark brown..
- Uncover and stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
I cannot stress how good this stuff is. I was really surprised how easy it was too. I’m going to use this for small gifts at Christmas with a little loaf of homemade bread.