I love a good Pumpkin Nut Roll and I love Banana Nut Bread so when I came across this recipe for Banana Nut Roll I was eager to give it a try. It was really good…a little mix of cheese cake, banana bread and pumpkin roll…scrumptious.
Here’s the recipe and how you make it:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
4 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
sifted powdered sugar
1 recipe Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
1. Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
2. For filling, in a small mixing bowl combine cream cheese and the 1/2 cup granulated sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add whole egg and milk; beat until combined. Spread in the prepared pan; set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved. Stir in banana and nuts.
4. Thoroughly wash the beaters. In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over egg mixture; fold in just until blended.
5. Carefully spread the batter evenly over the filling in the pan. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
6. Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan and turn out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off paper. Starting with a short side, roll up cake, using towel as a guide but not rolling towel into cake. Cool completely on rack.
7. Spread top with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting. (I didn’t spread the frosting on the top of my roll. I figured if I wrapped up the roll to store in the refrigerator that the frosting would stick to the wrapping. So, instead I just put the frosting in a container and topped each piece individually.)
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting; In a small mixing bowl combine half of a 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Gradually beat in 1 cup unsifted powdered sugar. Beat in enough milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Makes about 1/2 cup frosting. ( I doubled this frosting recipe because I LOVE cream cheese frosting…YUM!)
This recipe was taken from the Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book 1998.
Printer Friendly Version
This is a little bit of a complex recipe for me. I am usually just a few ingredient kinda gal but it was well worth it. This is going into my favorites. It will be great for everyday or something new for your holiday table.