On Thanksgiving night, after all the family has shared their hearts of gratitude, a big turkey dinner, and the clean up, we all work together and set up our Christmas tree. It’s such a special, fun night that I look forward to every year. We have gotten the tree decorating down to a science so I thought I’d share with you all the details of how to decorate a Christmas tree or more specifically, how I decorate my Christmas tree.
1. Choose the right tree – Live, artificial, skinny, fat, tall, short, Charlie Brown-like… there are many trees to choose from and you will have to decide what you like best and what works best for your home. 20 years ago we bought an artificial tree. It was a big fat one. It worked well for many years but then our family began to grow and our 1,000 square foot home wasn’t getting any bigger, so we had to find a different tree. I was very blessed to find a skinny tree at a Thrift Store for $35 and it works PERFECTLY for our home.
So, choose the right tree for you… you are the only one that can decide that!
2. Safely set up and spruce up the tree – When our boys were little, keeping our tree in the upright position was not easy. We eventually screwed it to the floor…I kid you not! If you choose an artificial tree, you will need to spruce it up a bit. I slightly bend every other branch in an opposite direction. This gives the tree a fuller look.
3. Lights – Your next step is to string the lights on the tree. A lot of trees now are pre-lit but even if your tree is pre-lit, you may want to add some extra lights. (this is what I did) I read that for every foot of your tree, you should have a string of 100 lights.
4. Garland – There are many types of garland. For my tree, I chose burlap. Also with this step, I placed rafia here and there throughout my tree.
5. Ornaments – You may choose themed, miscellaneous, or special family ornaments. Every year, we as a family choose an ornament for our tree. It is typically from somewhere special that we have been that year. This was our new ornament last year.
We have them from the very first year we were married until now…almost 21 years and 4 kids later.
Finally, just top your tree with your favorite topper and enjoy your newly decorated tree.
Don’t miss out on any of my upcoming posts…Follow along!