I’ve been doing a lot of make ahead cooking lately with all my freezer meals and cooking for a month endeavors. When cooking for a month I hadn’t made any snacks and so when I did my most recent “cook”, I added these homemade granola bars to the menu.
I found this great recipe for big families HERE. Although I don’t consider our family “big”, I wanted to have a large batch of granola bars for lunches and snacks and this recipe fit the bill.
These taste very much like the store bought granola bars but are much more fresh and delicious.
I will make the suggestion that you use the biggest bowl you have to mix these. I used my largest Tupperware bowl and it just barely fit.
The recipe below makes 2 cookie sheets. If you don’t want to make that many, you can easily cut the recipe if half.
We then cut ours to look like granola bars using a pizza cutter.
- 40 oz. mini marshmallows
- 1½ cups butter
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 10 cups oatmeal
- 9 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 packages graham crackers, crushed
- 1 package chocolate chips
- Melt first five ingredients over medium temperature until just melted.
- In a VERY large mixing bowl, mix oatmeal, crispy rice cereal, crushed graham crackers, and chocolate chips.
- Pour the melted mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spread and flatten the mixture on two cookie sheets and let cool.
- Once cooled, cut in desired size.
- Store in airtight container.
My intent was to have these around for a while…hence making so many. But my plan didn’t work, they were so good, the kids ate them up in no time.
So, if you’re looking for a yummy granola bar recipe, give this one a try! I’m pretty certain you’ll like them.
To get email updates click here