Several months ago I told you about the romantic weekend My Better Half and I had that turned into a major project weekend.
The weekend alone and a little too much home improvement tv encouraged us to tear up our old nasty carpet in the living room and see what treasure was beneath.
The “treasure” below may be a bit debatable for some, but for us, we knew its potential!
I’ll give you the brief version of what we did, but you can see the full post HERE.
First we sanded down the floor. This was a CRAZY messy task that took weeks to clean up!
It took a lot of elbow grease to get 100 years worth of stain and varnish off the floor but once that was done, I could hardly wait to get the new stain on.
The stain is Minwax Jacobean. We started the application by using a rag and stain. This wasn’t giving us the coverage we wanted so we used a paint brush instead, wiping excess stain off as we went along.
We applied two coats of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane to seal the floor. After finishing the floor, we had to paint the walls and add new baseboards. The old color and baseboards needed a fresh look too!
And the result…speaks for itself!!
The dining room and kitchen still have the old laminate flooring.
As you can see from this picture, the floors look really bad leading from room to room, but I’m really hoping to start the other floors in the Fall.
But for now, I’m going to enjoy the 100 year old treasure in my living room.