Let me start this post by apologizing for all the pictures. I am absolutely THRILLED with the results of this dresser and I may have gotten a little carried away and snap happy!
This dresser was my grandmother’s and is part of a full bedroom suit. It has been through a house fire and many years of wear and tear. Here is the post of all the before pictures and the story of this piece.
The dresser needed some serious cleaning and repair. The piece is typical 1920 production furniture and is covered in veneer. After the water and heat damage from the fire and decades of use, the veneer had begun to peel and break in many areas. The veneer on the top surfaces were able to be repaired…the drawer fronts however, would need either a complete resurfacing or a facelift. We opted for the facelift.
After getting the soot off, we began sanding the top surfacing and prepping the sides for milk paint.
It seems that chalk paint is all the rage right now but I came across a post talking about milk paint and that it was similar to chalk paint in its coverage, texture, and results when distressing furniture. I decided to find a shop that carried the milk paint…there was one just a few minutes from my house.
The milk paint comes in the powder form and I just had to mix what I needed with water to get the consistency and quantity that I needed. I purchased an additional product called Ultra Bond to mix with the paint so that it would adhere to the layers of shellac.
Let me say, I am not getting compensated for my opinion of this Real Milk Paint and I purchased my own paint and Ultra Bond. So this is my opinion…I think this paint is AMAZING! It adhered well and with a very rustic texture (because of how I mixed the paint). It was great for distressing and the look of the paint is beautiful and so fitting for this piece. I can hardly wait to use it again and am eager to get this in other colors.
ANYWHooo, on to the reveal…
This is the side and a couple of the drawers after one coat of the paint. I considered leaving it like this and then distressing but decided I wanted a more white, less transparent look. So I continued on with two more coats before I got the desired look.
And this, my dear friends, is THE desired look…
|The hardware is the original hardware. I just scrubbed it down with a brass brush.|
The top of the dresser was sanded down and we applied danish oil to bring out the color, harden and protect the wood.
The dresser is now sitting in my daughter’s room. It looks gorgeous and now I can hardly wait to get the other pieces finished to match the beautiful dresser. I’m gonna get busy on the other pieces and I’ll let you all know when they are completed.