Oh my goodness…Oh MY GOODNESS! I just made the most amazing recipe for Cheeseburger Pie. My whole family was literally begging for more!! It was that good!
I will say, before I start getting comments, that this is NOT a low fat, low calorie, low sodium, low anything recipe. It is however, FABULOUS!
Here’s the recipe. You can find the printable version here.
California Cheeseburger Pie (Pillsbury Budget Ground Beef Recipes SIP #9.1)
1 box (15 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box. ( I just made my own)
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
2 cups cubed prepared cheese product
( I used Velveeta)
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
16 round dill pickle chips or 8 oblong dill pickle slices ( I used more because we love pickles)
1/4 teaspoon sesame seed
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie, using 9 inch glass pie plate.
2. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
3. Stir in cheese, dressing and the mustard. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Spoon beef mixture into crust-lined pie plate. Arrange pickle chips over beef mixture.
4. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. ( I didn’t have any sesame seeds) Cut slits in several places in top crust. Cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning (I didn’t do this); remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
5. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Top pie with lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with ketchup and mustard if desired.
We all agreed that this tastes very much like a Big Mac. It was sooo good! I’ll be making it again soon!