My parents were in town for a couple of days and we had them over for dinner last night. My mom is one of my very best friends so anytime that I get to spend with her and my dad too is precious. For dinner, I made my usual Stromboli which is always a hit. I’ve shared that recipe here before but will share it again because it is that good.
However, on a couple of the Stromboli, I changed it up a bit and combined another recipe I had on shared with you a month or so ago…Cheeseburger pie.
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
2 cups cubed prepared cheese product
( I used Velveeta)
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
2. Stir in cheese, dressing and the mustard. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 tp3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
|This is a double batch. I like to have lots of leftovers!|
Here’s the recipe I used for my dough. This is also the recipe I use for my pizza dough.
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tablespoon yeast
(stir and let those two sit for 5 minutes)
1/3 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of cooking oil
2 heaping teaspoons of salt
6 1/2 to 7 cups of flour
1. Knead to a nice dough like consistency and let raise for at least an hour ( I usually let mine rise for 2 or more hours…I make it before church and then throw the Stromboli or pizza together when I get home 4 hours later).
2. Spread 1/3 of this dough recipe out on a greased cookie or baking sheet.
3. Spread 1/2 of the filling on the dough and fold over one side of the dough and then the other…sealing the ends.
4. Melt 1/2 stick of margarine or butter, add about 1/3-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese to the butter and stir it up. Then take a pastry brush and paint it on the top of the Stromboli (nice and thick).
5. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the tops are nice and golden brown. Make sure the bottom of the Stromboli doesn’t get too dark. The butter/margarine melts and can cause the bottom to get brown very quickly.
It belongs to my Sister in Law and she graciously allowed me to share it with all of you. For convenience, I sometimes use frozen bread dough instead of the dough recipe I gave you above.
Either way, it makes for a scrumptious meal and is just as good when heated up the next day!