I’ve been having a grand time with my new found Homemade Microwave Popcorn and Microwave Kettle Corn. They are really easy, inexpensive, and of course yummy. My sister encouraged me to try to come up with a Caramel Popcorn. I tried without success to create a yummy, fast microwave caramel corn but my mom used to always make it in the oven, so I made that instead.
I made it this weekend for our family fall party and then made two more batches to give to our Pastors for Pastor Appreciation Month.
It is crazy delicious and not hard…but it does require a little over an hour to make.
Here’s what you need:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
7 quarts plain popped popcorn
2 cups peanuts ( I used dry roasted) **the peanuts are optional
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Pop your popcorn (for my Homemade Microwave Popcorn I used 4 batches) and pour into greased large roaster or 3- greased 9×13 baking dishes. Be sure to discard the unpopped kernels. Add the peanuts to the roaster as well.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
3. In saucepan, combine brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil and then cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
4. After five minutes, remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla. Stir well.
5. Pour over popcorn and peanuts and stir well. There is no need to get popcorn fully covered at this point.
6. Place in oven for 60 minutes, stirring thoroughly after each 15 minute time period. This is crucial!! This is when your popcorn will get thoroughly covered.
7. After 60 minutes of baking, remove from oven, stir one last time, and pour onto waxed paper or I used greased foil.
8. After it cools, store in airtight container.
This is not the chewy caramel corn, if that’s what you’re looking for…it’s the crunchy delicious caramel corn!!
Don’t miss out on any of my upcoming posts…Follow along!