Several years ago, I bought this dresser at ReStore. It was what I considered to be a pretty amazing deal. I got it for $125.
The dresser came with a beautiful oval mirror but I’ll show you that as the rest of the bathroom makeover comes together.
I bought it with the intent to turn it into a bathroom vanity but the time just hasn’t been right. We really want to tear out a wall in the bathroom and put in a sliding door, and that is what we have been waiting on. BUT, life happens and the funds nor the time are available for that big of a project, so we are going to do bits and pieces of the makeover now, and as funds and time come, more of the project will be completed.
We went back and forth, back and forth, and back and forth again about whether or not to get a vessel sink. I LOVE the look of them but really didn’t think it was practical for our large family and in our primary bathroom. So, we opted against the vessel sink and for the one that sits down in the counter, or in this case, dresser top.
So, the task at hand… to get this sink in this dresser top.
The sink came with a pattern to follow and so we carefully measured for the center of the sink, side to side, and then exactly where we wanted the sink, front to back, and marked it off with painters tape.
Then we centered the cut-out pattern and taped it down.
Using a jig saw, My Better Half cut out the hole. I don’t know why I get so very nervous when he’s doing stuff like this, but I do!
I’m always afraid the hole is going to be too big and the sink is just gonna fall right through! But it didn’t. It was the perfect fit.
Now, I wish I could say that was it…project complete. But I can’t. The top two drawers needed to be rebuilt. I didn’t want them to just be fake, unusable drawers, so major modification had to be done to make them fit around the sink. That’s a post for another day.
Another thing that needed to be done was to take care of this this ugly bleached out spot on the top of the dresser.
So I had to sand down the top and find matching stain. The matching stain was a big pain in the bucket. I had to mix four different stains together to finally get the desired look…urg!
But after much persistence… I got the color right, and now the top matches the bottom…yay!
The sink is just sitting in the dresser/vanity for now. I need to wax the top of it, to seal it thoroughly from all the water that is going to come into contact with it. If you want to see how I stain and wax a piece like this, you can read my post HERE.
I love the new bathroom vanity. It has such character.
Anyway, I’ll be showing you the rest of the bathroom makeover as things progress, but getting this done has been serious motivation!!
** The bathroom vanity and bathroom makeover is now complete. You can see the finished job HERE.